2000 S40 seatbelt broken

Discussion in 'Volvo S40' started by Mr. GoaT, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. Mr. GoaT

    Mr. GoaT Guest

    I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
    back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
    know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
    I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
    the pillar.
     
    Mr. GoaT, Jul 18, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mr. GoaT

    blurp Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:56 -0400, Mr. GoaT <>
    wrote:

    >I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
    >back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
    >know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
    >I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
    >the pillar.


    Ah yes. This is where you have to ask yourself why you have a
    seatbelt:

    If the purpose of a seatbelt is to avoid getting a ticket for not
    having a seatbelt, then a used belt is fine. Once a belt has been worn
    in an accident it may look the same but it's not, it has been stressed
    and its strength and characteristics have changed. Still, if you want
    to save some money in the short run (and live in a thrilling and risky
    way) then you might be able to get a belt out of a wreck and have a
    local mechanic put it in for you.

    If the purpose of a seatbelt is to reduce your injuries in a crash
    then the only thing you can safely do is replace the whole thing. You
    cannot do this job yourself (or at least it's not advised) because of
    the pyrotechnic pretensioner (aka a stick of dynamite) in the pillar
    attached to the belt. The dealership (I was told there is no
    aftermarket part for liability reasons) is the only place to get it
    and they don't repair faulty seatbelts. Installed the whole job cost
    me around $620CAD (yes, "UGH!").

    I just had to replace the driver's seatbelt in my 95 850 for just the
    opposite reason...it retracted and wouldn't spool out again... it just
    got shorter and shorter and then was tight. So tight I couldn't
    re-adjust the seat (they're attached).

    I wish there was a better way. The new belt sure is smooth and new.

    Good luck,
    blurp
     
    blurp, Jul 28, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Mr. GoaT

    Mr. GoaT Guest

    Since its looks like the dealer is going to do the work I called the
    two local volvo dealers - the first one said about $700US and the
    other one actually did a price work up and told me $320 installed -
    amazing that one is twice the price of the other...


    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:22:19 -0400, blurp <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:56 -0400, Mr. GoaT <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
    >>back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
    >>know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
    >>I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
    >>the pillar.

    >
    >Ah yes. This is where you have to ask yourself why you have a
    >seatbelt:
    >
    >If the purpose of a seatbelt is to avoid getting a ticket for not
    >having a seatbelt, then a used belt is fine. Once a belt has been worn
    >in an accident it may look the same but it's not, it has been stressed
    >and its strength and characteristics have changed. Still, if you want
    >to save some money in the short run (and live in a thrilling and risky
    >way) then you might be able to get a belt out of a wreck and have a
    >local mechanic put it in for you.
    >
    >If the purpose of a seatbelt is to reduce your injuries in a crash
    >then the only thing you can safely do is replace the whole thing. You
    >cannot do this job yourself (or at least it's not advised) because of
    >the pyrotechnic pretensioner (aka a stick of dynamite) in the pillar
    >attached to the belt. The dealership (I was told there is no
    >aftermarket part for liability reasons) is the only place to get it
    >and they don't repair faulty seatbelts. Installed the whole job cost
    >me around $620CAD (yes, "UGH!").
    >
    >I just had to replace the driver's seatbelt in my 95 850 for just the
    >opposite reason...it retracted and wouldn't spool out again... it just
    >got shorter and shorter and then was tight. So tight I couldn't
    >re-adjust the seat (they're attached).
    >
    >I wish there was a better way. The new belt sure is smooth and new.
    >
    >Good luck,
    >blurp
     
    Mr. GoaT, Jul 30, 2008
    #3
  4. Mr. GoaT

    blurp Guest

    Typical! If you can get a deal from the dealer then you win... I don't
    know about where you are but around here they're notoriously careless
    and conniving. I only visited them out of necessity.

    Good luck!
    B


    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:44:30 -0400, Mr. GoaT <>
    wrote:

    >Since its looks like the dealer is going to do the work I called the
    >two local volvo dealers - the first one said about $700US and the
    >other one actually did a price work up and told me $320 installed -
    >amazing that one is twice the price of the other...
    >
    >
    >On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:22:19 -0400, blurp <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:56 -0400, Mr. GoaT <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
    >>>back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
    >>>know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
    >>>I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
    >>>the pillar.

    >>
    >>Ah yes. This is where you have to ask yourself why you have a
    >>seatbelt:
    >>
    >>If the purpose of a seatbelt is to avoid getting a ticket for not
    >>having a seatbelt, then a used belt is fine. Once a belt has been worn
    >>in an accident it may look the same but it's not, it has been stressed
    >>and its strength and characteristics have changed. Still, if you want
    >>to save some money in the short run (and live in a thrilling and risky
    >>way) then you might be able to get a belt out of a wreck and have a
    >>local mechanic put it in for you.
    >>
    >>If the purpose of a seatbelt is to reduce your injuries in a crash
    >>then the only thing you can safely do is replace the whole thing. You
    >>cannot do this job yourself (or at least it's not advised) because of
    >>the pyrotechnic pretensioner (aka a stick of dynamite) in the pillar
    >>attached to the belt. The dealership (I was told there is no
    >>aftermarket part for liability reasons) is the only place to get it
    >>and they don't repair faulty seatbelts. Installed the whole job cost
    >>me around $620CAD (yes, "UGH!").
    >>
    >>I just had to replace the driver's seatbelt in my 95 850 for just the
    >>opposite reason...it retracted and wouldn't spool out again... it just
    >>got shorter and shorter and then was tight. So tight I couldn't
    >>re-adjust the seat (they're attached).
    >>
    >>I wish there was a better way. The new belt sure is smooth and new.
    >>
    >>Good luck,
    >>blurp
     
    blurp, Jul 30, 2008
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jonathan
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,723
    Jonathan
    Jan 28, 2005
  2. snoopy42

    seatbelt warning light??? 89 240 sedan

    snoopy42, Jul 21, 2005, in forum: Volvo 240
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    606
    Al Dente
    Jul 24, 2005
  3. TurningWorm

    Seatbelt stuck on 94 850

    TurningWorm, Mar 5, 2006, in forum: Volvo 850
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    361
    TurningWorm
    Mar 5, 2006
  4. byrocat

    V40 front passenger seatbelt jams

    byrocat, Mar 10, 2006, in forum: Volvo V40
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    321
    byrocat
    Mar 11, 2006
  5. Cope

    850 Seatbelt Config

    Cope, Sep 20, 2006, in forum: Volvo 850
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    339
    Stephen Henning
    Sep 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page