89 740 GL inner tie rods question

Discussion in 'Volvo 740' started by Geronimo, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    I need to replace the inner tie rods on my 89 740 GL sedan, both have
    too much play. There is a pair of new tie rods being sold on eBay, but
    they are actually for an 87 740, not 89. I suspect the 87 and 89 tie
    rods are the same, but I think Volvo 740 came with racks made by two
    different companies. Maybe the tie rods have to match the rack?

    Would these tie rods be compatible? DO I need to find out what make
    of rack they are for and check to see what I have, so I don't get
    something unuseable?








    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8011351651&sspagename=ADME:B:DS:MT:28
     
    Geronimo, Nov 6, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. "Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > I need to replace the inner tie rods on my 89 740 GL sedan, both have
    > too much play. There is a pair of new tie rods being sold on eBay, but
    > they are actually for an 87 740, not 89. I suspect the 87 and 89 tie
    > rods are the same, but I think Volvo 740 came with racks made by two
    > different companies. Maybe the tie rods have to match the rack?
    >
    > Would these tie rods be compatible? DO I need to find out what make
    > of rack they are for and check to see what I have, so I don't get
    > something unuseable?
    >

    They definitely have to match the manufacturer: ZF or Cam Gear. Check out
    http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo700900steering.htm and then decide whether you
    want to bother with e-bay. I also recommend replacing the boot at the same
    time, since the ends don't last long when the boot tears.

    Mike
     
    Michael Pardee, Nov 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Geronimo

    Randy G. Guest

    "Michael Pardee" <> wrote:

    >"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >>
    >>
    >> I need to replace the inner tie rods on my 89 740 GL sedan, both have
    >> too much play. There is a pair of new tie rods being sold on eBay, but
    >> they are actually for an 87 740, not 89. I suspect the 87 and 89 tie
    >> rods are the same, but I think Volvo 740 came with racks made by two
    >> different companies. Maybe the tie rods have to match the rack?
    >>
    >> Would these tie rods be compatible? DO I need to find out what make
    >> of rack they are for and check to see what I have, so I don't get
    >> something unuseable?
    >>

    >They definitely have to match the manufacturer: ZF or Cam Gear. Check out
    >http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo700900steering.htm and then decide whether you
    >want to bother with e-bay. I also recommend replacing the boot at the same
    >time, since the ends don't last long when the boot tears.
    >


    Additionally, are you SURE it's the tie rod end and not the rack
    itself? At the end of the rack, inside, there is some sort of bushing.
    I thought we needed tie rod ends on the 960, but when I examined it
    carefully the inner tie rod ends were fine, but the entire end of the
    rack where it exits the the housing was quite loose- VERY easily felt
    by grabbing it and giving it a good lateral shaking. Since racks
    usually(?) come with the inner tie rod ends attached it is worth being
    sure...



    __ __
    Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
    \__/olvos
    '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
    "Shelby" & "Kate"
     
    Randy G., Nov 7, 2005
    #3
  4. Geronimo

    Guest

    I just happen to have a set of inner tie rod ends for my 89 740 that I
    bought and never used. I don't recall whether they are cam or zf.
    Find out which you need. If these will work for you, I will sell them
    to you cheap. Kindest regards, jct


    t'On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:14:45 -0800, "Randy G."
    <> wrote:

    >"Michael Pardee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I need to replace the inner tie rods on my 89 740 GL sedan, both have
    >>> too much play. There is a pair of new tie rods being sold on eBay, but
    >>> they are actually for an 87 740, not 89. I suspect the 87 and 89 tie
    >>> rods are the same, but I think Volvo 740 came with racks made by two
    >>> different companies. Maybe the tie rods have to match the rack?
    >>>
    >>> Would these tie rods be compatible? DO I need to find out what make
    >>> of rack they are for and check to see what I have, so I don't get
    >>> something unuseable?
    >>>

    >>They definitely have to match the manufacturer: ZF or Cam Gear. Check out
    >>http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo700900steering.htm and then decide whether you
    >>want to bother with e-bay. I also recommend replacing the boot at the same
    >>time, since the ends don't last long when the boot tears.
    >>

    >
    >Additionally, are you SURE it's the tie rod end and not the rack
    >itself? At the end of the rack, inside, there is some sort of bushing.
    >I thought we needed tie rod ends on the 960, but when I examined it
    >carefully the inner tie rod ends were fine, but the entire end of the
    >rack where it exits the the housing was quite loose- VERY easily felt
    >by grabbing it and giving it a good lateral shaking. Since racks
    >usually(?) come with the inner tie rod ends attached it is worth being
    >sure...
    >
    >
    >
    > __ __
    > Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
    > \__/olvos
    >'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
    > "Shelby" & "Kate"
     
    , Nov 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    I looked at the rack, but could not see any identification on it as to
    whether it is ZF or TRW. Where/how is it marked? THere is a plate
    covering up the middle of the rack, do you have to remove that in
    order to see it?

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 06:18:10 GMT, wrote:

    >I just happen to have a set of inner tie rod ends for my 89 740 that I
    >bought and never used. I don't recall whether they are cam or zf.
    >Find out which you need. If these will work for you, I will sell them
    >to you cheap. Kindest regards, jct
    >
    >
    > t'On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:14:45 -0800, "Randy G."
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Michael Pardee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >>>news:...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I need to replace the inner tie rods on my 89 740 GL sedan, both have
    >>>> too much play. There is a pair of new tie rods being sold on eBay, but
    >>>> they are actually for an 87 740, not 89. I suspect the 87 and 89 tie
    >>>> rods are the same, but I think Volvo 740 came with racks made by two
    >>>> different companies. Maybe the tie rods have to match the rack?
    >>>>
    >>>> Would these tie rods be compatible? DO I need to find out what make
    >>>> of rack they are for and check to see what I have, so I don't get
    >>>> something unuseable?
    >>>>
    >>>They definitely have to match the manufacturer: ZF or Cam Gear. Check out
    >>>http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo700900steering.htm and then decide whether you
    >>>want to bother with e-bay. I also recommend replacing the boot at the same
    >>>time, since the ends don't last long when the boot tears.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Additionally, are you SURE it's the tie rod end and not the rack
    >>itself? At the end of the rack, inside, there is some sort of bushing.
    >>I thought we needed tie rod ends on the 960, but when I examined it
    >>carefully the inner tie rod ends were fine, but the entire end of the
    >>rack where it exits the the housing was quite loose- VERY easily felt
    >>by grabbing it and giving it a good lateral shaking. Since racks
    >>usually(?) come with the inner tie rod ends attached it is worth being
    >>sure...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> __ __
    >> Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
    >> \__/olvos
    >>'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
    >> "Shelby" & "Kate"
     
    Geronimo, Nov 11, 2005
    #5
  6. Geronimo

    Randy G. Guest

    Geronimo <> wrote:

    >
    >I looked at the rack, but could not see any identification on it as to
    >whether it is ZF or TRW. Where/how is it marked? THere is a plate
    >covering up the middle of the rack, do you have to remove that in
    >order to see it?
    >

    This will tell you:
    http://www.vlvworld.com/VIN/plates740.htm
    ...and this will be of interest
    http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?production.html


    __ __
    Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
    \__/olvos
    '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
    "Shelby" & "Kate"
     
    Randy G., Nov 11, 2005
    #6
  7. "Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    >
    > I looked at the rack, but could not see any identification on it as to
    > whether it is ZF or TRW. Where/how is it marked? THere is a plate
    > covering up the middle of the rack, do you have to remove that in
    > order to see it?
    >

    You might have to remove the plate - I can't visualize that very well. The
    ZF racks have a giant "ZF" cast on one of the flatter surfaces, but the
    other type is not well marked.

    Mike
     
    Michael Pardee, Nov 11, 2005
    #7
  8. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    Well I checked the door post ID plate against the info on the volvo
    webpage Randy G. referenced. 3 is for ZF, 4 is for TRW. On mine, the
    number for the steering rack is a 2! So I will have to jack up car
    again and check the dimensions of the boot ends, etc. to figure out
    which it is.



    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:06:25 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
    <> wrote:

    >"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >news:eek:...
    >>
    >> I looked at the rack, but could not see any identification on it as to
    >> whether it is ZF or TRW. Where/how is it marked? THere is a plate
    >> covering up the middle of the rack, do you have to remove that in
    >> order to see it?
    >>

    >You might have to remove the plate - I can't visualize that very well. The
    >ZF racks have a giant "ZF" cast on one of the flatter surfaces, but the
    >other type is not well marked.
    >
    >Mike
    >
     
    Geronimo, Nov 12, 2005
    #8
  9. Geronimo

    Geronimo Guest

    It is a CAM/TRW. The code 2 on the door pillar is for CAM/TRW. Thanks!

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:06:25 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
    <> wrote:

    >"Geronimo" <> wrote in message
    >news:eek:...
    >>
    >> I looked at the rack, but could not see any identification on it as to
    >> whether it is ZF or TRW. Where/how is it marked? THere is a plate
    >> covering up the middle of the rack, do you have to remove that in
    >> order to see it?
    >>

    >You might have to remove the plate - I can't visualize that very well. The
    >ZF racks have a giant "ZF" cast on one of the flatter surfaces, but the
    >other type is not well marked.
    >
    >Mike
    >
     
    Geronimo, Nov 12, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Chiu

    Tie rods and wheel bearings

    Michael Chiu, Nov 20, 2004, in forum: General Motoring
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    330
    Robert
    Nov 23, 2004
  2. Michael Chiu

    S70 inner door adhesive

    Michael Chiu, Feb 22, 2005, in forum: Volvo S70
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    439
    Peter
    Feb 28, 2005
  3. TLG
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    468
  4. Jamie

    Locksmith, am I now? Sensor put-er inner?

    Jamie, Mar 6, 2007, in forum: General Motoring
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    211
    Jamie
    Mar 6, 2007
  5. Jamie

    Tie-rod / Ball Joint question

    Jamie, Mar 7, 2007, in forum: General Motoring
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    207
    Jamie
    Mar 8, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page