Volvo Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Dashboard light for 1991 Volvo 240

 
john doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2004
The dashboard light on my 240 wagon went out tonight. Do I need to pull the
dash to replace it, or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2004
john doe wrote:
>
> The dashboard light on my 240 wagon went out tonight. Do I need to pull the
> dash to replace it, or is there an easier way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David


There are 2 bulbs. If the cluster has been half dark, then maybe the
second bulb has burned out. You can change them by reaching up from
below, but if you don't know what you're looking for, you're not going
to have much luck. It's not too hard to remove the cluster, just remove
the blank panels to the right, the knobs and panel to the left and undo
the 4 screws. Pull back and you'll be able to see what to do.

If the cluster was not half dark, look at the dimmer rheostat first.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

NOTE: new address!!
Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
don hodgdon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2004
As Mike F. stated, the cluster is simple to pull out, however, before you
tear into anything, be sure the dimmer is turned up all the way...I made the
mistake of pulling my cluster once when the lights didn't work, turned out I
had turned down the dimmer while cleaning the interior earlier in the
day...DOH!
--
-don

'81 242t
'89 744ti

"john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The dashboard light on my 240 wagon went out tonight. Do I need to pull

the
> dash to replace it, or is there an easier way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
john doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2004
It is definitely out. I even get the idiot light up telling me a bulb is
out.

Pulling the cluster seems easier than pulling the whole dash, for sure. Any
idea what kind of bulb it takes... I could not find anything in the manual.

Thanks,

David


"don hodgdon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cxtVb.25079$tP1.16849@fed1read07...
> As Mike F. stated, the cluster is simple to pull out, however, before you
> tear into anything, be sure the dimmer is turned up all the way...I made

the
> mistake of pulling my cluster once when the lights didn't work, turned out

I
> had turned down the dimmer while cleaning the interior earlier in the
> day...DOH!
> --
> -don
>
> '81 242t
> '89 744ti
>
> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The dashboard light on my 240 wagon went out tonight. Do I need to pull

> the
> > dash to replace it, or is there an easier way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
James Sweet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2004

"john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is definitely out. I even get the idiot light up telling me a bulb is
> out.
>
> Pulling the cluster seems easier than pulling the whole dash, for sure.

Any
> idea what kind of bulb it takes... I could not find anything in the

manual.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David



The idiot light only checks the taillights and headlights, so you've got
another issue there, either a bulb is out, mismatched, or you have a bad
connection.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
James Sweet wrote:
>
> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It is definitely out. I even get the idiot light up telling me a bulb is
> > out.
> >
> > Pulling the cluster seems easier than pulling the whole dash, for sure.

> Any
> > idea what kind of bulb it takes... I could not find anything in the

> manual.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David

>
> The idiot light only checks the taillights and headlights, so you've got
> another issue there, either a bulb is out, mismatched, or you have a bad
> connection.


And the cluster bulbs are a special halogen bulb built into a holder.
Probably only available from the dealer.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

NOTE: new address!!
Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
James Sweet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004

"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> James Sweet wrote:
> >
> > "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > It is definitely out. I even get the idiot light up telling me a bulb

is
> > > out.
> > >
> > > Pulling the cluster seems easier than pulling the whole dash, for

sure.
> > Any
> > > idea what kind of bulb it takes... I could not find anything in the

> > manual.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > David

> >
> > The idiot light only checks the taillights and headlights, so you've got
> > another issue there, either a bulb is out, mismatched, or you have a bad
> > connection.

>
> And the cluster bulbs are a special halogen bulb built into a holder.
> Probably only available from the dealer.
>


Halogen? Since when? Mine just has normal bulbs in there, IIRC they're
#555's. Maybe they changed it in later years, I have seen small halogen
bulbs at the autoparts store, didn't know what they were for.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-02-2004
James Sweet wrote:
>
> Halogen? Since when? Mine just has normal bulbs in there, IIRC they're
> #555's. Maybe they changed it in later years, I have seen small halogen
> bulbs at the autoparts store, didn't know what they were for.


The last few years had halogen bulbs. I'm not sure what a 555 bulb is.
The earlier 240s used a non-halogen 3w bulb which looked the same as the
5w license plate bulbs in the sedan. However I've heard that installing
these 5w bulbs melt things in the cluster. The new halogen bulbs have a
holder built on, and go in a slightly smaller hole than the older type.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

NOTE: new address!!
Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
James Sweet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-02-2004

"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> James Sweet wrote:
> >
> > Halogen? Since when? Mine just has normal bulbs in there, IIRC they're
> > #555's. Maybe they changed it in later years, I have seen small halogen
> > bulbs at the autoparts store, didn't know what they were for.

>
> The last few years had halogen bulbs. I'm not sure what a 555 bulb is.
> The earlier 240s used a non-halogen 3w bulb which looked the same as the
> 5w license plate bulbs in the sedan. However I've heard that installing
> these 5w bulbs melt things in the cluster. The new halogen bulbs have a
> holder built on, and go in a slightly smaller hole than the older type.
>


The #555 bulb is a 3W 12v wedge base lamp.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph Oberlander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-02-2004
James Sweet wrote:

> "Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>James Sweet wrote:
>>
>>>Halogen? Since when? Mine just has normal bulbs in there, IIRC they're
>>>#555's. Maybe they changed it in later years, I have seen small halogen
>>>bulbs at the autoparts store, didn't know what they were for.

>>
>>The last few years had halogen bulbs. I'm not sure what a 555 bulb is.
>>The earlier 240s used a non-halogen 3w bulb which looked the same as the
>>5w license plate bulbs in the sedan. However I've heard that installing
>>these 5w bulbs melt things in the cluster. The new halogen bulbs have a
>>holder built on, and go in a slightly smaller hole than the older type.
>>

>
>
> The #555 bulb is a 3W 12v wedge base lamp.


They are also the exact same bulbs used in many pinball machines, so
if you are looking to replace the entire set, this might be a good
way to get them in larger qualtities.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
760GLE Dashboard light - what is it? Andy Volvo 760 0 12-03-2009 12:21 AM
Brake dashboard warning Light not working Wylie Wilde General Motoring 1 16-05-2006 02:40 PM
S80 "Position Light" dashboard warning? Andrea Volvo S80 4 31-08-2004 10:02 PM
Dashboard bulb light is on... but no burned out lights... Handywired General Motoring 1 02-07-2004 05:19 AM
Dashboard light fuse keeps fusing J Morrow General Motoring 2 17-09-2003 02:44 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.