Volvo Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

2000 S40 seatbelt broken

 
Mr. GoaT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18-07-2008
I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
the pillar.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
blurp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      28-07-2008
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:56 -0400, Mr. GoaT <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
>back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
>know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
>I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
>the pillar.


Ah yes. This is where you have to ask yourself why you have a
seatbelt:

If the purpose of a seatbelt is to avoid getting a ticket for not
having a seatbelt, then a used belt is fine. Once a belt has been worn
in an accident it may look the same but it's not, it has been stressed
and its strength and characteristics have changed. Still, if you want
to save some money in the short run (and live in a thrilling and risky
way) then you might be able to get a belt out of a wreck and have a
local mechanic put it in for you.

If the purpose of a seatbelt is to reduce your injuries in a crash
then the only thing you can safely do is replace the whole thing. You
cannot do this job yourself (or at least it's not advised) because of
the pyrotechnic pretensioner (aka a stick of dynamite) in the pillar
attached to the belt. The dealership (I was told there is no
aftermarket part for liability reasons) is the only place to get it
and they don't repair faulty seatbelts. Installed the whole job cost
me around $620CAD (yes, "UGH!").

I just had to replace the driver's seatbelt in my 95 850 for just the
opposite reason...it retracted and wouldn't spool out again... it just
got shorter and shorter and then was tight. So tight I couldn't
re-adjust the seat (they're attached).

I wish there was a better way. The new belt sure is smooth and new.

Good luck,
blurp
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mr. GoaT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30-07-2008
Since its looks like the dealer is going to do the work I called the
two local volvo dealers - the first one said about $700US and the
other one actually did a price work up and told me $320 installed -
amazing that one is twice the price of the other...


On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:22:19 -0400, blurp <> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:56 -0400, Mr. GoaT <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
>>back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
>>know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
>>I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
>>the pillar.

>
>Ah yes. This is where you have to ask yourself why you have a
>seatbelt:
>
>If the purpose of a seatbelt is to avoid getting a ticket for not
>having a seatbelt, then a used belt is fine. Once a belt has been worn
>in an accident it may look the same but it's not, it has been stressed
>and its strength and characteristics have changed. Still, if you want
>to save some money in the short run (and live in a thrilling and risky
>way) then you might be able to get a belt out of a wreck and have a
>local mechanic put it in for you.
>
>If the purpose of a seatbelt is to reduce your injuries in a crash
>then the only thing you can safely do is replace the whole thing. You
>cannot do this job yourself (or at least it's not advised) because of
>the pyrotechnic pretensioner (aka a stick of dynamite) in the pillar
>attached to the belt. The dealership (I was told there is no
>aftermarket part for liability reasons) is the only place to get it
>and they don't repair faulty seatbelts. Installed the whole job cost
>me around $620CAD (yes, "UGH!").
>
>I just had to replace the driver's seatbelt in my 95 850 for just the
>opposite reason...it retracted and wouldn't spool out again... it just
>got shorter and shorter and then was tight. So tight I couldn't
>re-adjust the seat (they're attached).
>
>I wish there was a better way. The new belt sure is smooth and new.
>
>Good luck,
>blurp

 
Reply With Quote
 
blurp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      30-07-2008
Typical! If you can get a deal from the dealer then you win... I don't
know about where you are but around here they're notoriously careless
and conniving. I only visited them out of necessity.

Good luck!
B


On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:44:30 -0400, Mr. GoaT <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Since its looks like the dealer is going to do the work I called the
>two local volvo dealers - the first one said about $700US and the
>other one actually did a price work up and told me $320 installed -
>amazing that one is twice the price of the other...
>
>
>On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:22:19 -0400, blurp <> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:56 -0400, Mr. GoaT <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I have 2000 Volvo S40 that the driver's seat belt no longer retracts
>>>back into the pillar bewteen the front & back doors - Does any one
>>>know the cost at the dealer to do this repair and can I do it myself.
>>>I looked and do not see how to remove molding to get at the unit in
>>>the pillar.

>>
>>Ah yes. This is where you have to ask yourself why you have a
>>seatbelt:
>>
>>If the purpose of a seatbelt is to avoid getting a ticket for not
>>having a seatbelt, then a used belt is fine. Once a belt has been worn
>>in an accident it may look the same but it's not, it has been stressed
>>and its strength and characteristics have changed. Still, if you want
>>to save some money in the short run (and live in a thrilling and risky
>>way) then you might be able to get a belt out of a wreck and have a
>>local mechanic put it in for you.
>>
>>If the purpose of a seatbelt is to reduce your injuries in a crash
>>then the only thing you can safely do is replace the whole thing. You
>>cannot do this job yourself (or at least it's not advised) because of
>>the pyrotechnic pretensioner (aka a stick of dynamite) in the pillar
>>attached to the belt. The dealership (I was told there is no
>>aftermarket part for liability reasons) is the only place to get it
>>and they don't repair faulty seatbelts. Installed the whole job cost
>>me around $620CAD (yes, "UGH!").
>>
>>I just had to replace the driver's seatbelt in my 95 850 for just the
>>opposite reason...it retracted and wouldn't spool out again... it just
>>got shorter and shorter and then was tight. So tight I couldn't
>>re-adjust the seat (they're attached).
>>
>>I wish there was a better way. The new belt sure is smooth and new.
>>
>>Good luck,
>>blurp


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
850 Seatbelt Config Cope Volvo 850 3 20-09-2006 08:41 PM
V40 front passenger seatbelt jams byrocat Volvo V40 1 11-03-2006 01:31 PM
Seatbelt stuck on 94 850 TurningWorm Volvo 850 0 05-03-2006 01:39 AM
seatbelt warning light??? 89 240 sedan snoopy42 Volvo 240 2 24-07-2005 01:03 AM
S40 bonnet (hood) catch broken - how do I open bonnet?! Jonathan Volvo S40 2 28-01-2005 06:02 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 PM.