Volvo Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Wheel Lug torque - 01 V70

 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26-05-2007
What is the proper torque value for the wheel lug bolts on a 2001 V70
(alloy wheels, if that makes a difference)?

TIA...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roger Mills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26-05-2007
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is the proper torque value for the wheel lug bolts on a 2001 V70
> (alloy wheels, if that makes a difference)?
>
> TIA...



VADIS says 140 Nm (~103 ft.lbs)

I've never been convinced that a torque wrench is necessary when doing up
wheel bolts or nuts - there isn't one supplied with the spare wheel! I just
do them up tight - and then some!
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Pardee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26-05-2007
"Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What is the proper torque value for the wheel lug bolts on a 2001 V70
>> (alloy wheels, if that makes a difference)?
>>
>> TIA...

>
>
> VADIS says 140 Nm (~103 ft.lbs)
>
> I've never been convinced that a torque wrench is necessary when doing up
> wheel bolts or nuts - there isn't one supplied with the spare wheel! I
> just do them up tight - and then some!
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
>


I had much less trouble with brake pulsation after I started using a torque
wrench on wheels with disc brakes. Drums don't seem to care.

Mike



 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Mills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26-05-2007
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Michael Pardee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
>> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the proper torque value for the wheel lug bolts on a 2001
>>> V70 (alloy wheels, if that makes a difference)?
>>>
>>> TIA...

>>
>>
>> VADIS says 140 Nm (~103 ft.lbs)
>>
>> I've never been convinced that a torque wrench is necessary when
>> doing up wheel bolts or nuts - there isn't one supplied with the
>> spare wheel! I just do them up tight - and then some!
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Roger
>>

>
> I had much less trouble with brake pulsation after I started using a
> torque wrench on wheels with disc brakes. Drums don't seem to care.
>
> Mike


How do you explain that? Are you suggesting that you were succeeding in
distorting the discs? When using a torque wrench, were they tighter than
before, or less tight?

I'm a great believer in doing them up in sequence 1-3-5-2-4 *three* times -
i.e. nipping them on the first pass, tightening them on the second (while
still on the jack) and finally tightening them on the ground. I've never had
any problems with brake pulsation - other than the anti-lock mechanism
occasionally doing what it's designed to do!
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26-05-2007
> > "Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> I've never been convinced that a torque wrench is necessary when
> >> doing up wheel bolts or nuts - there isn't one supplied with the
> >> spare wheel! I just do them up tight - and then some!


The spare wheel is temporary...

I do them with the torque wrench for a couple of reasons:

1. Why not? They are bolts, just like any other bolt, with the
additional caveat that their function is somewhat more critical at 140
km/hr than the valve cover fasteners.

2. I can sleep soundly, knowing that the bolts are not over-stressed.

3. I know that they are tight enough so that my Lovely Bride will not
lose a wheel whilst driving, but not so tihgt that she can't remove them
on the side of the road, should she need to put the spare on.

> > I had much less trouble with brake pulsation after I started using a
> > torque wrench on wheels with disc brakes. Drums don't seem to care.

>
> How do you explain that? Are you suggesting that you were succeeding in
> distorting the discs?


I've heard this before, I don't know if it's urban legend or not.

> When using a torque wrench, were they tighter than
> before, or less tight?


I'm betting that they are less tight with a torque wrench. Back when
dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was a technician at a VW dealer...I always
used a torque wrench on alloy wheels. I was the only guy that did so.
Everyone else shot them on with the air wrench...this was before the
days of torque-limiting extensions (which I don't trust so much anyway).
Had a few people complain after getting a flat, though I don't recall
any complaints of brake pulsation...
>
> I'm a great believer in doing them up in sequence 1-3-5-2-4 *three* times -
> i.e. nipping them on the first pass, tightening them on the second (while
> still on the jack) and finally tightening them on the ground.


That should work - if they aren't too tight! <g>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Pardee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26-05-2007
"Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Michael Pardee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> I had much less trouble with brake pulsation after I started using a
>> torque wrench on wheels with disc brakes. Drums don't seem to care.
>>
>> Mike

>
> How do you explain that? Are you suggesting that you were succeeding in
> distorting the discs? When using a torque wrench, were they tighter than
> before, or less tight?
>


I realize the whole "brake pulsation" thing is controversial; I'm just
reporting my experience. FWIW, here's CanadianDriver's take on it:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020109.htm
"...Incorrect tightening of the wheel nuts also can warp a rotor. When
installing a wheel, snug up the wheel nuts and then tighten them in two
stages using an alternating criss-cross pattern. Using a torque wrench is
critical on modern vehicles. ..."

Your Experience May Vary

Mike



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draining Torque Converter Spooky Mulder General Motoring 3 24-06-2005 12:34 AM
Wheel nut torque specs MV General Motoring 0 26-10-2004 04:33 AM
Horsepower vs Torque (2.5T/T5) Ned General Motoring 6 04-03-2004 12:09 AM
Torque Specifications freddyp@ddrfreak.com General Motoring 3 14-11-2003 01:48 AM
Need torque value for front caliper mounting bolts ml General Motoring 2 07-08-2003 02:26 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26 PM.