460 GLE valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Volvo 460' started by enferm82, Mar 2, 2020.

1. enferm82

enferm82

110,000 Km, 1993 Volvo 460 GLE automatic that never has had valves adjusted.

Symptoms: When the A/C is turned on, the revs come down and engine is shaky while being in "D", if put in N or P it gets better.

Work done: Car has had plugs, leads, coil, rotor arm and distributor cap replaced little ago, before experiencing this problem.

After I noticed this vibration, I took the throttle body and idle valve so they can be cleaned; they weren´t bad, but still performed the work. Nothing changed.

As the car has never had the valves checked and I´m experiencing a little of uneven idle, without the A/C on; I figured I should check the valve clearance, as the Haynes Manual states it should be checked at 80,000Km.

I have feeler gauges and think that I can accomplish to measure the valve clearance, but I am unsure on how to get the shims out in case I need. Should I do one valve at a time? when the lobe is facing away from the shim. How can I get the shim out if I do not have the Volvo special tool? Haynes Manual has a picture using a big screwdriver to make it go down.

Finally, where can I get shims for this model? Local Volvo doesn´t carry them

enferm82, Mar 2, 2020
Ask a Question