Bushings: 200k

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by myren, lord, Sep 5, 2004.

1. myren, lord

myren, lord Guest

My `84 240 DL wagon just hit 200k. I keep the shock absorbers somewhat
    up to date, but with 200k on the bushings, its still a less than elegant
    ride.

Looking underneath at the suspension, I see very few easy ways to
    replace the bushings. It looks like a helluva lot of work, a helluva
    lot of pulling things apart.

Can someone please comment on the difficulty of replacing the bushings?
    How much work did it take you?

Also, what do you recommend for replacements? I dont mind spending an
    extra $50 for really good bushings, I hope to have this car to at least
    300k some day.

Thanks
    Myren

myren, lord, Sep 5, 2004
  2. myren, lord

Nick Zervas Guest

Myren:

I am at 293k on an '84 240 and I haven't touched the control arm bushings although I
    replaced the stabilizer link bushings when I went to the IPD anti-sway bars. I also
    had the upper strut mounts replaced recently although you can do them yourself with
    spring compressors and a thorough reading of your favorite manual. Bentley is a good
    opener. As for the rear end, I've upgraded the torque/reaction rod bushings to IPD
    polyurethane. I use an identically-sized socket and a 6-ton shop press (from Harbor
    Freight or anywhere else) to drive out the bushing and press in the new one. There
    are four. If they are stubborn, you may have to cut the bushing from the inside out
    to the rod.

The rear trailing arm bushings are quite formidable. IPD sells a tool set to remove
    and instlall them or you might make one yourself by way of this link I found:

http://www-ese.fnal.gov/People/wilcer/volvo_trailing_arm_bushing_tool.htm

There are other bushings too but those are the ones I know. I've never heard of
    replacing the front trainling arm bushings or the panhard rod bushings but I suppose
    they go too and could be serviced the same way as the torque rod bushings. YMMV! ;_)

NickZ

Nick Zervas, Sep 7, 2004
Ask a Question