Catastrpohic failure of 2004

Discussion in 'Volvo XC70' started by delp, Apr 30, 2013.

1. delp

delp

Sorry to have to post this as a first message, but I need help!! My car, a 2004 XC 70 Cross Country died in a parking lot...just stopped dead. No lights on the dash, no noise, no thump. Nothing. I had it towed into a nearby Volvo dealership in Lansing, Michigan and had to rent a car to get home. Just wondering if any of you have had this problem...they are still looking for a solution after a day of analysis. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

yrs,

Mike

delp, Apr 30, 2013
  2. delp

yorkiemom.aws

Since I just bought a used 2004 XC-70 Cross Country, I am curious. What did you find out? Surely, after a year you know something. I hope it was just a battery or alternator.

yorkiemom.aws, Apr 6, 2014
  3. delp

delp

It stopped twice before it was "fixed"..turned out to be a defective after-market auto start. It's still not right and I can't lock it, but it still drives fine. Getting the ABS sensors cleaned on Monday and probably some front end work along with fixing a minor oil leak. It has been a terrific car.

delp, Apr 6, 2014
  4. delp

yorkiemom.aws

Thanks for letting me know what it was. When you say after-market auto start, do you mean a "remote start" so you can warm the car up before you get into it in the winter?

Maybe I am simple-minded, but could the problems basically be fixed by just removing that particular auto start module & put the car back to factory?

My husband is thinking of having a remote start put on my car, too. I would love to have one & our winter this year has been the winter from hell.

I also have an oil leak on my baby. The oil feed tube to the Turbo is leaking but not real bad. We are watching it very closely. I am scared to death what Volvo will charge to fix that one since it goes to the back of the turbo towards the firewall. Yikes!!!

5. delp

delp

It is a remote start and I would never put another one on a car. I rarely go to a dealer for work, unless it is so specific no one else can do it. I have a mobile mechanic who is resourceful, and reasonably priced. You've a winter from hell....we have had over 200 inches of snow and there is still 2-3 feet on the ground and 18 inches of ice in front of my house.

delp, Apr 6, 2014
  6. delp

yorkiemom.aws

OK, we had a winter in Hawaii compared to that! I'm in Ky. Where are you? Siberia?

7. delp

delp

I live in Northern Lower MIchigan, in Interlochen.

delp, Apr 6, 2014
  8. delp

yorkiemom.aws

I hand the award for Winter from HELL to you. Gladly!

9. delp

delp

I've lived up here all of my adult life. You need to be mentally ill to stay up here, for sure.

delp, Apr 6, 2014
Ask a Question