My lovely 1993 850 - rear control arm bushing replacement, HELP!

Discussion in 'Volvo 850' started by Kreal, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Kreal

Kreal

Hello all I have a 1993 Volvo 850 that I love dearly! Recently the right rear has been making thud noises on bumps and after inspection it seems my upper (infront of the wheel) rear control arm bushing on the passenger side needs replaced! How do I do this job? Do I remove the entire rear subframe, control arm etc? Or does just the bushing come out (control arm drop on that side)? I want to save this car and an mechanically inclined I just need to hear from someone who has done this job before ! I imagine the dealer would cost extensively.

Thanks so much in advance, I really need your input! We love our volvo, it has 600k miles and we are proud owners!

Paul in Ohio
    [email protected]

Kreal, Jan 12, 2013
  2. Kreal

kerrsed1

Special tool needed

Hello,
    You don't need to drop the whole sub frame. What has to be done is
    1. pull the tire off.
    2. any bolts that look like they are attached to the arm there should be three (it's been awhile since I've done this job)
    3. You NEED a special tool to remove the bushing (I have one I can lend you) volvo will not sell you one, so it must be ordered from the tool manufacture in the Netherlands $$$.\

There is torque specs to put it all back together I'll have to look them up later.

Hope this helps a little.

Ben

kerrsed1, Feb 12, 2014
  3. Kreal

manoduv

Hi Ben, if you still have the tool, I'd be extremely grateful to get into the borrowing line. I'm a new member so hopefully a deposit with suffice as insurance for you? Or if I out could link me to the manufacturer you mentioned, that would be great. Thanks!

manoduv, Feb 28, 2014
Ask a Question