New to Forum and 240 Lover

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MoizVolvo, Nov 28, 2011.

?

Is the 240 the best Volvo ever built?

1. Yes, hands down

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes, but others come close

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MoizVolvo

MoizVolvo

We are a two-Volvo family in Oregon: 1992 Volvo 240 sedan, and 2005 Volvo XC90.

I consider myself a car enthusiast and I have owned many wonderful cars over the years. The one car that I really enjoy driving/maintaining/owning is the 240. This is our 2nd 240, the first being a 1986 wagon. There is something very special in this car's stoic demeanor. It's goodness comes from a platform that is solid, unfussy, and extremely reliable. The body shape is timeless, unsung, and unyielding, and the interior is homely, functional, and commonsense. Whats under the hood is credible, long lasting, and adequate. The car does not hurt you in the pocketbook when you go out to buy it/sell it/fix it. It is not fast, flashy, and familiar (at least to the American public), and that is part of the magic. People who buy this car are attracted first because of its safety record (we have all heard claims that no one driving under 70 mph and wearing the seat belt has ever died in a crash in a Volvo 240), and once they are in it they just plain feel safe. The 240 must have been conceived by a Swedish genius of Steve Jobs caliber. After all this car has outlived many a rival, and will continue to be on the road as a daily driver for many more years to come. My Volvo-only mechanic says that it's the best car ever built-period. I also like the fact that its one of the cheapest cars to insure. Again, I think it's the magic of the 240 that gets it favorable ratings from the insurance industry. The insurance man will tell you that it's the safety record that keeps the premiums low, but we know better: Who in their right mind would want to steal one, and go for a high speed spin!

MoizVolvo, Nov 28, 2011
Ask a Question