No Start Wet - Again & Again Ready To Junk It ! 200 1989

Discussion in 'Volvo 240' started by cgilmore, Dec 5, 2014.

1. cgilmore

cgilmore

Hi Everyone:

I have an 89 240 with a wet,foggy, misty, rainy no start condition.
    I was advised to change spark plug wires, dist. cap, perhaps rotor and maybe coil (by a local friend).
    Have also read could be the power stage, under hood wiring harness, ECU fuse etc... Too many things to deal with?
    I have done none of this - have had other problems to tend to (timing belt, brakes, master cylinder etc... - apologies. : )

So, I have another symptom that occurs now that is really unpleasant -
    no fuel gauge, tach and no speedo (if I do get it running when wet).

Today I tried to start it after sustained period of wet - drizzle - mist - fog.
    Sometimes I can get it to start by holding the gas pedal all the way down - but no way today.
    Fuel gauge does not work and I get no tach bumps etc.

I'm getting to the point where I am afraid the problem is beyond worth fixing.

Wife also reports when driving car after wet event when car does start - no speedo.

Any advise other than scrap it?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    cgilmore, Dec 5, 2014
  2. cgilmore

mr.choppers

Move to Spain, where it is dry.

But it sounds like there are simply too many things that could be bad. I would start by replacing all of the fuses, but maybe you've done that already?

mr.choppers, Jan 3, 2015
Ask a Question