replacing throttle body/ETS in V70

Discussion in 'Volvo V70' started by Peter Ziobrzynski, Feb 28, 2006.

1. I got my V70 showing the ETS symptoms: ETS and check engine lights on with
    engine going into a hiccup. I took the TB out and cleaned it with the the Volvo
    cleaning solution. There was some carbon deposits around the throttle plate and
    on the walls but not much. The cleaning helped for 2 hours and the hiccup is
    back again.
    It looks like I need to replace the unit. If I buy a new one I think I need to
    reprogram it and I have no information on how to do it. Anybody has any info on
    that?
    Alternative is to sent my own for a repair. I found this shop on Ebay :

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=volvo_post_1999_marelli_electronic_throttle_system

that fixes it for $250. This should not require reprogramming. Any opinions on
    using new or remanufactured?

Peter Ziobrzynski, Feb 28, 2006
  2. Peter Ziobrzynski

RWD Guest

VCNA has extended the warranty for the Magneti Marelli ETM to 10
    years/200,000 miles. Contact your dealer.

Also, see:
    http://vexedvolvo.org/
    for more information.

Good luck, Richard

RWD, Mar 1, 2006
  3. I will be damned! I got the same info from other sources and confirmed it with
    the local Denver dealer and have appointment for tomorrow to fix it.
    Thanks Richard for a good link.
    Pity that I did not get that info before I took on the weekend long project of
    following the Volvo bulletin on cleaning the ETM. Taking the intake manifold
    out, cleaning the ETM with the expensive ~$40 volvo cleaner, breaking things in
    the process like flame-trap hose that was completely hardened by the temperature
    in the cam cover area ($50), etc. etc.
    Anyway it was a very interesting education.
    We will see tomorrow how much of this $1200 warranty covered ETM repair is
    really covered :)

cheers

Peter Ziobrzynski, Mar 1, 2006
Ask a Question