Worn rack ends querey

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by PM, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. PM

    PM Guest

    I have been knocked back on rego because of worn rack ends in the steering
    rack. Can anyone recommend a good place for used ones, or even new ones. I
    would consider a reco steering rack for the right price.


    PM, Jun 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. You don't say what car, or where you are, but you are probably talking
    about worn track rod inner ball joints (you may call them tie rods).
    It is a fairly simple job to replace the rods.

    Don't use secondhand ones - they are not expensive new, and it also
    makes sense to replace the track (tie) rod outer ends and rubber boots
    at the same time.

    If you measure the length of the old rod/end assembly carefully and
    adjust the new assembly to the same length, then you will not need to
    have the tracking reset - but you need to be exact on this.

    Stewart Hargrave

    For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name
    Stewart Hargrave, Jun 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. PM

    PM Guest

    Hi Stewart,

    Sorry, brain not working. It is a 79 245 with about 400K on it. Prices are
    not too cheap in Oz so I am looking OS as well.

    PM, Jun 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.