XC90 V8 Crankshaft pulley removal help needed

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Rydogg513, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Rydogg513

Rydogg513

Hi, i'm new to the site and i am hoping that someone can give me some great advice like others have received.

I have a 2005 Volvo XC90 4.4l v8. Recently the serpentine belt came off track undamaged. I looked into the situation further and noticed it was a bad idler pulley. The bearing had sheared off the nub that it rides on that is connected to the timing cover. With that being said, in order to fix it i have to replace the cover.

So far i have all of the bolts removed that hold the cover in place. I had to remove the intake to get to one of them behind the power steering pump. I also removed the passenger motor mount, and the mount above the intake(did that before removing the intake of course) .

The problem i am fighting is the crankshaft pulley. I have tried using a torque wrench, normal long handled wrench, both only spun the pulley. I have also tried an impact 1/2' drive with impact socket, no luck. I even unfortunately tried to use ratchet and bump start the crank. nothing worked and i can find no one on the web who has done this with a V8. the tool that is used for the smaller engine models does not work for the V8, there are no slots for that tool.

Can anyone put out some suggestions? I'm very handy at working on cars else i would not of attempted this in the first place, however this severely tight nut has me stuck. I am beginning to think it is reversed threaded although i've been told it is not.

Rydogg513, Feb 17, 2014
Ask a Question