02 S60 2.4T front suspension problem?

Discussion in 'Volvo S60' started by rbtsmpsn, Dec 18, 2011.

1. rbtsmpsn

rbtsmpsn

I need a little help. This is my wife's car, 02 S60 2.4T. I don't drive it much, but we took it on a long road trip earlier in the week and I think something's wrong with the front suspension. I have researched and found a list of usual suspects concerning this car's front suspension. I've heard of clunking, popping, squeaking.. I'm sure my problem is one of these usual suspects (strut, strut mount, sway bar link, control arm...), but my description of this problem is a little different than ones I've read.

When I drive over bumps, more so at slower speeds, it feels like the car is falling apart. It seems like my tires are inflated to about 150psi. Driving over a small hole seems like I'm driving over a manhole without a cover. Every little bump seems greatly magnified.

Same brand of tires I've run for years.
    Tires are properly inflated.
    No excessive bouncing like bad struts, feels firm.
    When trying to turn the nut on top of the strut mount, all I can manage is a turn like from 12:00 to 1:00 and it springs right back.
    No squeaking or popping while steering or driving.
    There's no sloppiness to any of the components when I get it up and push and pull on them.

What should I look at to solve this harsh ride?

Thanks.

rbtsmpsn, Dec 18, 2011
Ask a Question