1988 240 Volvo Gl

Discussion in 'Volvo 240' started by Jt1902, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Jt1902

Jt1902

Hello everyone!
    This is my first thread and i hope i placed this in the correct grouping.
    I have a 1988 240 GL with 154k on the reader and I've had it since early 2015 but I've known this car since 2014 (bought it from my girlfriends brother). I will also add that the previous owner (before my gfs brother) did not take great care of the car cosmetically which i always wondered how maintained it was in that part of its life. its had some spray paint job done(?) And this shows how long its been sitting in the sun... But anyways to the point!

The best way to put it, my 240 isnt performing as strong as i think it should. I have issues turning the car on in the heat but not so much in the cold. Putting gas into the pedal gets it up and running when its hot outside. I also feel it might be putting out low power as I've had 2 people comment, "your car needs a tune up!" If that makes a better picture, i feel that I've always felt the same about how its performed. One can say I've been lazy and have been putting off looking into it as it's not a big concern considering its my daily and ive only ever seen my car perform like this. I've had the following parts replaced since I've owned it:

-spark plugs/wires
    -distributor rotor/cap
    -main fuel pump and pre-pump
    -fuel pump relay
    -belts and pulleys
    -IAT sensor
    -had the throttle cable re-adjusted after misc. Issue arose but it didnt affect the current issue
    -cleaned throttle body and changed gasket
    -cleaned the MAF sensor/ new air filter
    -Usual oil changes

I considered the possibility of my car needing a new ignition coil and whether or not the idle air control valve may also play a role in what could be many parts coming together as a lack of performace issue but i only know enough do the basic maintenance and leave the unknown to the volvo mechanic.

All comments welcome, thanks everyone!

Jt1902, Sep 1, 2017
Ask a Question