1998 V90 ignition timing issue

Discussion in 'Volvo 960' started by b0bsharp, Jul 13, 2021.

1. b0bsharp

b0bsharp

My V90 significantly lacks power especially when going uphill. No codes, no overheating, just no power! We attached a 'live read' scan tool to the OBD2 port and noticed that the ignition timing jumps around all over the place from an expected 14 degrees advanced to 0 and occasionally to a degree or two retarded!

However just sitting in the driveway the timing curve seems to be what I'd expect - 9 degrees advance at idle and then a steady rise to a max of 30 degrees at 4000 rpm.

Some history. I bought this car with a seized engine and replaced it with a used one from a 1997 960 which had exactly the same power issue as described above. Unfortunately the water pump failed, broke the timing belt which of course locked the engine up. I managed to find another 960 engine (1996) and before installing did what I should have done before and replaced all the timing belt components. This engine came with knock sensors so I did not transfer from the previous engine.

What could be the cause of the erratic timing only when driving?

b0bsharp, Jul 13, 2021
Ask a Question