940 clutch "chirps"

Discussion in 'Volvo 940' started by AEustc, Sep 2, 2004.

1. AEustc

AEustc Guest

Hi,
    When starting off from rest, at a junction or lights, my 940 estate 2.0 makes a
    chirp from the clutch, also if shifted from 2nd to 3rd quickly, not often and
    if driven gently does not happen. The car has covered 106,000 miles and clutch
    checked 10k prieviously and found to be OK, The clutch does not slip under any
    other conditions. I think it is time for a change before it fails big time, is
    this an easy job as I have seen posts of people unable to split the bell
    housing or drop the box.
    Andy.

AEustc, Sep 2, 2004
  2. AEustc

Peter Milnes Guest

This is generally caused by the clutch release bearing and it would be best to
    change the whole clutch or put up with the chirp till it gets bad, then change
    the whole clutch. You should have no difficulty in splitting box and bellhousing
    from the engine provide you remove the propshaft.

Cheers, Peter.

: Hi,
    : When starting off from rest, at a junction or lights, my 940 estate 2.0 makes
    a
    : chirp from the clutch, also if shifted from 2nd to 3rd quickly, not often and
    : if driven gently does not happen. The car has covered 106,000 miles and clutch
    : checked 10k prieviously and found to be OK, The clutch does not slip under any
    : other conditions. I think it is time for a change before it fails big time, is
    : this an easy job as I have seen posts of people unable to split the bell
    : housing or drop the box.
    : Andy.

Peter Milnes, Sep 3, 2004
Ask a Question