'98 V40 trip reset microswitch worn out

Discussion in 'Volvo V40' started by Roger Hunt, Sep 20, 2009.

  1. Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Greetings a.a.v

    (This is a UK 1998 V40 - I am pretty confident a US or other V40(/old
    S40) would use the same switch)

    The trip reset on my V40 has gradually become less responsive over time,
    I have had enough of pressing and wiggling it to make it do it's stuff
    and would like to replace the switch.
    It was very easy to remove the instrument cluster and I have looked far
    enough within to see that the trip reset is a microswitch of as yet
    unknown specification.
    It also looks a fairly easy job to replace it, but before I do it, I
    wonder if anyone here has experience of this little job, and perhaps
    knowledge of what microswitch to ask for at the electronics shop.

    Anybody? All info gratefully received

    Roger Hunt, Sep 20, 2009
  2. Roger Hunt

    James Sweet Guest

    If it can be made to physically fit, it will probably work. I would pull
    the old one and take it to a shop and see if they have something similar.

    Do test it first though, in my experience microswitches rarely fail, but
    solder joint problems are common.
    James Sweet, Sep 22, 2009
  3. Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    I found that the "switch" contained one of those conductive rubber
    buttons used in TV remotes, which are a little flimsy, and this one had
    worn out after years of regular use - both by me and quite likely the
    previous owner (Police).
    I replaced it with a (working) tactile micro-switch from a laptop
    motherboard and am about to test it out in the car ....
    Roger Hunt, Sep 22, 2009
  4. Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt Guest

    To follow up ...
    It all works, trip reset has a pleasant click to it now.
    Roger Hunt, Sep 23, 2009
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.