Buying a old volvo need opinions please

Discussion in 'Volvo 740' started by thompson_joshua, Feb 14, 2019.

1. thompson_joshua

thompson_joshua

So I have been looking at buying a Volvo 740 for a while and I'm thinking about buying a fixer-upper thats been sitting for a while, i know about inlines from working on jeeps and old Chevys but turbos are where i get scared and lost. the guy who is selling this Volvo told me that it was blowing white smoke when it ran and my first concern is a blown head gasket which it might have. he told me it was something to do with the pvc lines or some type of "fire box" which seemed to be used car salesmen bs. apon reading the forums and looking into it the pvc lines might be the cause. i guess what my question is. Would it be a good idea to buy this Volvo its been sitting for a good couple years, i know it will need a battery and more than likely a fuel pump at minimum or should i try to find a running model and pay more im not really concerned a the money for this build because i genuinely just want a old volvo because my mom had one for years and i adored that thing.

thompson_joshua, Feb 14, 2019
    Anderson likes this.
  2. thompson_joshua

Ric Lang

I don't know where you are, but I have 2 Volvo 740 wagons. One is a 1991 non turbo, with a perfect body, paint (gold). The interior (Saddle leather) is certainly not perfect, this being my work car which I have owned since 1995. It has a new headliner & cargo compartment carpeting. Has 100k miles. The other car is a 1992 turbo, also perfect body/paint (white). This was my wife's mother's car & was bought new by her. We have had it for 6 years. I am up to my ears in cars & must get rid of these two cars.

Ric Lang, Mar 22, 2019
Ask a Question