My 1992 Volvo 240 wagon starts but wont stay running

Discussion in 'Volvo 240' started by Jonathan Smith, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith

My name is Jonathan and my 1992 Volvo 240 and I need advice. (automatic transmission)
    I just took my car into my mechanic and he said he would drive it anywhere. A week later she is broken down but home. The wagon starts ( sometimes with the assistance of giving her some gas) and then I'll lose acceleration while driving and she dies with a stutter. I told my mechanic I thought one of my fuel pumps was going out because it seems if the car has less than half a tank it runs rough and now not at all. I will admit, I think I heard a loud knock the day this happened ( which I think came from the rear of the car but am uncertain).
    Any advice you can send my way is greatly appreciated. I love my Volvos and its all I have ever owned. I wont abandon my Swedish brick.

Warm Regards

Jonathan Smith, Jun 5, 2018
  2. Jonathan Smith

Arthur Dent

As you mentioned, it seems as though one of the fuel pumps is going out. But I would recommend checking fuel, spark and compression on your cylinders.

Arthur Dent, Sep 27, 2018
Ask a Question