New member, carbon canister leak causing problems

Discussion in 'Volvo 240' started by steve roche, Nov 2, 2011.

1. steve roche

steve roche

Hi-
    I am new to this site, and new to Volvos. I inherited an 85 240 Turbo, which ran perfectly
    until I owned it a week (of course). I am familiar with classic fords, GM cars, trucks,
    but this is my first Volvo. I'm going to try to fix up this car.

Anyway, problem and question: It ran beautifully, passed smog with a new catalytic,
    but it suddenly it's started stumbling on acceleration and going into that
    "limp home mode" which Volvo mentions in some of their literature.

I've found that a large vacuum hose going from the throttle body, down to the charcoal
    canister is split. I pulled it, and sealed it off, as well as the smaller tube.
    It did not improve the running of the engine (still uneven idle, stumble upon acceleration)
    but it did enable the car to crank over and start.

I have found that a few vacuum tubes are loose, around the engine, and as I correct them,
    the engine does not suddenly improve... but it improves a few minutes later. Or hours later. There is some sort of time delay.

So, I never quite know if I've fixed the problem until I leave, and come back to the car.
    Is this a Volvo thing, with all of their sensors and computers, or do I need to drink less?

thanks,
    steve

steve roche, Nov 2, 2011
Ask a Question