Power window switch for 850

Discussion in 'Volvo 850' started by frank, Apr 7, 2005.

1. frank

frank Guest

Can someone recommend me how to replace/repair passenger power window switch
    on my 850GLT. I really have to press it hard to be able to close the window.
    I am afraid next time it will not close the window at all. All other windows
    and mirror switches work perfect. Is there a way to replace it or fix it.
    Can I do it myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

frank

frank, Apr 7, 2005
  2. frank

Mike F Guest

Belive it or not, you can clean it without removing anything. Remove
    the fuse for power windows, or even better, disconnect the battery.

Rock the offending switch in one direction and pry the plastic "rocking"
    part off with a screwdriver. I use an Swiss Army knife for this as the
    corners are rounded and it doesn't mark the plastic. Then inside you'll
    see 2 ball bearings (they may stay in the posts on the rocker removed in
    step 1) and 2 contact strips. Remove these 4 bits and clean the
    contacts. Clean the contacts now visible on the bottom of the switch.
    Replace the contact strips and set the ball bearing down in the center
    of them. Note there are springs inside the posts on the rocker, snap
    the rocker in place making sure the posts land on top of the ball
    bearings.

--
    Mike F.
    Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
    (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

Mike F, Apr 11, 2005
  3. frank

jonsonneborn

Mike, I took your advice and cleaned out the passenger side window switch on my wife's '97 850 Wagon and it works as good as new! The passenger window hadn't gotten to the point where we stopped using it because we were not sure if we'd get it to come back up. My local independent Volvo Guy quoted me $240 for the switch plus labor. I found this posting and followed Mike's direction in prying off the plastic rocker with a swiss army knife. using the tweezers from the knife I removed the 2 ball bearing and the 2 metal contacts which look like see-saws (this is a little like the old board game 'Operation'). Using rubbing alcohol and some Q Tips I cleaned all parts thouroughly including the 4 raised contact points inside the switch. The first couple of Q tips for each contact point came out black with residue. Speaking of residue, make sure not to leave any cotton residue behind. Allow ample time for the alcohol to dry. Re-assemble again with the tweezers and voi-la your switch should be as good as new. Thanks Mike!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
    jonsonneborn, Oct 16, 2011
  4. frank

ironblock4

Belive it or not, you can clean it without removing anything. Remove
    the fuse for power windows, or even better, disconnect the battery.

Rock the offending switch in one direction and pry the plastic "rocking"
    part off with a screwdriver. I use an Swiss Army knife for this as the
    corners are rounded and it doesn't mark the plastic. Then inside you'll
    see 2 ball bearings (they may stay in the posts on the rocker removed in
    step 1) and 2 contact strips. Remove these 4 bits and clean the
    contacts. Clean the contacts now visible on the bottom of the switch.
    Replace the contact strips and set the ball bearing down in the center
    of them. Note there are springs inside the posts on the rocker, snap
    the rocker in place making sure the posts land on top of the ball
    bearings.

--
    Mike F.
    Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
    (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)[/QUOTE]

Mike, I took your advice and cleaned out the passenger side window switch on my wife's '97 850 Wagon and it works as good as new! The passenger window hadn't gotten to the point where we stopped using it because we were not sure if we'd get it to come back up. My local independent Volvo Guy quoted me $240 for the switch plus labor. I found this posting and followed Mike's direction in prying off the plastic rocker with a swiss army knife. using the tweezers from the knife I removed the 2 ball bearing and the 2 metal contacts which look like see-saws (this is a little like the old board game 'Operation'). Using rubbing alcohol and some Q Tips I cleaned all parts thouroughly including the 4 raised contact points inside the switch. The first couple of Q tips for each contact point came out black with residue. Speaking of residue, make sure not to leave any cotton residue behind. Allow ample time for the alcohol to dry. Re-assemble again with the tweezers and voi-la your switch should be as good as new. Thanks Mike!!!

ironblock4, Apr 21, 2017
  5. frank

ironblock4

DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT TRY TO PRY UP THE PLASTIC COVERS ON YOUR WINDOW PACK SWITCHES. Listen to what Admiral Akbar says. Until Mike F. or jonsonneborn post some pictures or video showing this procedure and showing the removed parts in good shape, I say let this advice stay under the bridge where it seems to have been spawned. Yes, I put a gentle upward pressure on one of my plastic switch covers. I increased pressure until I was convinced that the part was not going to move further without breaking. I did no damage to my $213 window switch pack but somebody else may not be so lucky. So let's see pictures or video or an admission that this was a prank.

ironblock4, Apr 21, 2017
Ask a Question