Pre-purchase questions

Discussion in 'Volvo V70' started by Nemo Nusquam, May 23, 2021.

1. Nemo Nusquam

Nemo Nusquam

Brand new to the forum, & needing some insight on a potential V70 purchase. This would be my first Volvo, but I have been a fan for decades.

It's a 1998 w/270k on it. It seems to run fine -- it'll get up & go when you ask it to, & it stops well & straight, and the engine is quiet & smooth -- but I know less about 5 cylinders than I do about every other kind of engine, & as I am only mildly competent with a lawnmower engine ... well, you do the math.

The apparent problems are essentially cosmetic: whatever it is that lightens the task of lifting the rear hatch doesn't do that; the sunroof will not retract into the roof, but it does lift open; the driver's seat motor makes noise, but the seat is stuck at full extension -- not bad if you're 6' 2", like the seller, but I am not quite 5' 9"; the a/c blows, but doesn't cool, but the heat seems operational; also, I am told the headlight connectors seem to work their way off the leads, but can be readily reattached.

One thing that is NOT merely inconvenient: the gauge cluster is goozled in some strange fashion. It "jumps" between being somewhat accurate (speed, gas level, ROMs, etc.), or completely arbitrary (when I first fired it up, the gas tank was empty, the tach showed virtually 0 rpm, & the speedometer said it was going 50mph ... in "Park"), or completely useless ... except that the LCD display seems to always be accurate.

My questions are these:
    (a) are the issues I mentioned "known" & solvable, or are any of them (b) known & unsolvable;
    (c) are the fixes for those which can be fixed DIY-able, and economical;
    (d) assuming what I have outlined, can anyone ballpark a reasonable price point for me, and,
    (e) does anything I have described scream "DON'T BUY IT!" to you?

BTW ... I really appreciate any information you may be inclined to contribute, but it REALLY is important for me to learn the answers to the questions I asked, & I would TRULY appreciate it if your responses could focus on those specific questions.

THANKS!

Nemo Nusquam, May 23, 2021
Ask a Question