Problem Finding Correct Crank Sensor

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Allan Wachendorfer, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Allan Wachendorfer

Allan Wachendorfer

I just picked up a 2005 S60 2.5T. It has a salvage title, so I'm prepared to have issues. Already, those have begun. Cranking no start. Gas on plugs (all of them) so probably no spark. Checked codes and I got a code for crankshaft sensor. Makes sense to me. Go to order one and it doesn't match the one in the car (pulling it from on top of the bell housing below the air box). Every parts place that looks this car up pulls up the same incorrect sensor (31331765). Called the dealer and parts guy says my vin points to the aforementioned sensor. Mentions another part number for same car different vin. I look that one up (31331754) and looks even more wrong. I'm starting to suspect the engine was swapped. 1 problem here is I can't find engine vin tag to track down right part. Timing belt cover says B5254T2. Transmission says 55-51SN. I think these both seem correct. I've looked up other cars that use this trans but none of the crank sensors match what I have. Please help.

Posting pic of sensor I pulled. Has only 4E27 for numbers. 2 pins.

IMG_1257.JPG

1st time poster. 5th volvo. (Previous 96 850, 95 850 wagon, 2000 s80 2.9, 2000 v40)

Allan Wachendorfer, Dec 16, 2017
  2. Allan Wachendorfer

Allan Wachendorfer

I'm an idiot. Apparently that's the speed sensor. Still looking for the Crankshaft sensor location. Will post in case someone else has this confusion.

Allan Wachendorfer, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Allan Wachendorfer

Allan Wachendorfer

Found it at the 12 o'clock position, however not directly under the air box. It's actually right at the point where the transmission meets the engine (probably over the flywheel). Turned out to be the fix to no spark issue as well. So yay!

Allan Wachendorfer, Dec 17, 2017
Ask a Question