1990 740 Turbo heater blower motor wiring issue

Discussion in 'Volvo 740' started by dsoelter, Feb 2, 2012.

1. dsoelter

dsoelter

Just received the replacement motor from FCP Groton, and it is a perfect match - except for the wiring connectors. Both are two wire connections, but the internal tabs on the new motor are a bit wider than on the original. New motor came with an extra wiring pigtail that fits on the connectors, but needs to be spliced onto the existing wire. On the existing wiring, one side is black, and obviously negative. The other side is a heavier purple wire which appears to have some sort of an in-line resistor, or perhaps noise suppresor right at the plug end.

Can someone tell me exactly what this is, and if I should cut and splice above or below this extra bit? Since it is RIGHT at the end of the wire, it's going to be a bit of a task to splice below it.

By the way, for the next person searching, and hoping to us an inexpensive GM motor on a 1990 Turbo, There's a pretty good chance that it won't work. It appears that 1990 was a crossover year, with maybe some cars using the GM ($20) motor, and more that used the Siemens/VDO ($100) motor.

Thanks for the help.

DFS

dsoelter, Feb 2, 2012
  2. dsoelter

bigbenn

Wow, I've got a 740 turbo waggon (rare) in Aussie, what is yours?
    Only seen one other turbo and that was a sedan.
    BigBenn

bigbenn, Feb 3, 2012
Ask a Question