My cherished 2012 Volvo C70 broke my heart today :-(

Discussion in 'Volvo Coupes' started by simplysandy, Oct 5, 2017.

1. simplysandy

simplysandy

Last night my 2012 Volvo C70 with 60k miles stalled and would not start when I was simply turning around in my driveway, preparing to back into the garage. I had it towed to a repair shop this morning, and without even looking under the hood, the mechanic told me the serpentine belt had broken and was wrapped up in the timing chain, damaging the valves. The estimate for repair is already at $6,000.00, and another $600.00 for the rental car for two weeks!

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with their C70, because according to the mechanic, this is something he has seen often. I am sick to my stomach about this because there were absolutely no warning signs anything was wrong. I maintain the car religiously, don't drive too fast or too slow and I am super careful not to drive over speed bumps too fast. I would imagine the serpentine belt is one of the items inspected during an oil change...right? I was due to have the oil changed this morning but the problem began last night as I explained. The only time the car has been in the shop since the last oil change was three weeks ago when I purchased four new tires.

Could something have been damaged during the tire installation to cause something to damage the serpentine belt?

Help...I just need answers as to what could have caused this belt to break! I never realized something like this could happen to a car that has been meticulously cared for. I used to feel so safe in my car, but now I am no so sure I even want to keep it after I get it back.

Thanks,

Sandy

simplysandy, Oct 5, 2017
Ask a Question